Friday, April 22, 2016

Bounce Back Thursdays

Scheduling things to do on Thursdays seems to be a reasonable cure for Wednesdays, though it starts the long weekend that ends with collapse early in the week or complete collapse on Wednesdays. I must reframe this to make Wednesdays the glorious rest day, a luxury few people can afford (hush, no money talk) and I am lucky enough to get to sleep past noon. Yeah, it's all a matter of perspective. Now I just need to remember how to enjoy the isolation. Hmmmm. First, it's not isolation, it's solitude. Self-time. Valuable self-time few people outside of monasteries and mountain cabins get. Or something like that. I wonder if there are any monasteries around here.

Yeah, right, so ok... today (we really should not be laughing at me, it's sad and all, uh-huh), I picked up Helen's mom early in the morning and took her to an eye doctor appointment. That occupied a few hours and she was very appreciative and gave me $20 which I know better than to refuse because it's one of those taboo things you just do not do with people of her generation. She kept asking me if it was enough after she shoved it in my hand and forced my hand closed and pushed my hand away. You may have experienced something like it if you had or have a grandparent, especially a grandmother. Anyway, her appreciative words really felt good.

Then I gave Curly a call to let him know I was done and was ready to help him with lawn work we scheduled for this afternoon and evening. First we did his mom's house which does not take long as it is about a third acre. Then we went to the big job, a business in a big warehouse (they make sets and props for TV, movies, and theatre and I am told they do the sets for The Ellen Show. Looking inside their warehouse is quite interesting. Anyway, we worked long hours in the sun. My part was over an hour of edging and weed wacking the front couple of acres. Curly had not cleared the trees for some time so there was a lot of thick brush to weed-wack and lots of twigs and stones flying back at my shins. A couple of dozen scratches and a dozen bruises later, the front area looked better than it had in some time. Curly was doing a perimeter of the area on the stand-on riding mower while I abused my legs. Next time I will be wearing long thicker pants (must find jeans that fit) and possible shin pads even though it will be brutally hot. I am used to wearing shin pads playing softball, so I should adjust.

After that we switched and I finished the front acreas riding the mower while he went to the much parger back areas to edge and weed-wack. I then went to town with the riding mower on the back area for a couple of hours while he had time to service his equipment (take things apart, clean and grease them, and do masic maintenance he doesn't get to do while out doing lawns). Muscles were very sore but more, the shins were covered with sctratchs, a few cuts (gouges), and bruises and bouncing on the riding more left my feet bruised and aching while steering with hand controls left my hands numb. Good exercise, but next time I must have better footwear as $15 dollar sneakers did not give my feet the support they needed. Learning experience. Lots ot pain. We did a good job though.

Then we drove back here and he dropped me off and I am not sure if I showered and collapsed or just collapsed, but I am pretty sure the shower came first as the sheets are not covered with dirt and sand and stickies and grass and blood. I finally empty the car (three cases of water, three dozen cans of pasta, three clothes hanging/drying racks, and a few other things). I put two of the drying racks together and did one load of laundry today and hung it up. The racks work well in this space (I hope, we shall see how the clothes dry tomorrow). I must work on clearing the other room (getting a whole lot of heavy stuff accross the soft sandy dirt to the garage on the other side of the house).

That was Thursday. Hope yours was fun too. :)

No comments: