Saturday, April 30, 2016

Burning Candles

The title of today's in case it matters entry (which was Something's Burning Somewhere in case it matters) is a reference to a Harry Chapin song, The Town that Made America Famouse, in case you didn't know. One thing burning is my candle at both ends. The title of this entry refers to that and also to Elton's Candles in the Wind and Neil's it's only castles burning (and suddenly pulling muscles from the shell flashes through my psyche for seriously no apparently reason and no additional meaning... perhaps distraction was in order).

What this is getting at, or to, is the fact that I am living a much busier life now than when I was working and I would most likely not be able to do it if I could not sleep late most days. I am burning out on fun and distraction. Weekends especially. Today I woke early and texted Curly because he was thinking of heading up here early to look around and make plans for a backyard where I can park my car. He slept in, so I went back to sleep and woke before noon to find Curly fixing a garbage disposal at his mom's house.

We went out for lunch (a $1.50 hot dog that included a drink at Costco's so chill on the luxury tax, m'ok? lol) mostly because he had to shop for some stuff to finish putting in an electric outlet somewhere and I kept him company. We returned here and he left and I got ready for Friday softball. Deja Vu. As we were batting in the bottom of the fourth inning ahead 13-8, the sky opened and just like last week, the games were called. Ordinarily I'd head home, write, and rest (cuz I try not to go out to eat with the team anymore to save money). Especially since I have an extremely busy day tomorrow.

Instead, I drove straight to Curly's to meet him and Excel and The Commodore and Elton and Mystery (Elton's partner). I had some lasagna Curly's mom made. Then we started learning a new game Commodore bought until Elton and Mystery arrived with pizza. We took a pizza break and then we played cards the rest of the night, noticing it was after 1am during one of the breaks. Crazy as I am I was ready for more cards or games but that is where we ended.

An hour or so later and here I am, home and sleep typing.

In the morning I need to be at the Reb Bug Park fields at 8:00am. I told my new Saturday coach that I would meet him at the senior league pick-up games. That means I might get four hours sleep if I am lucky. Actually, if I am lucky it will rain out, but I don't know if they will answer the phone at the fields to let me know so I will likely have to wake and drive a half hour even if it rained. After playing sodftball for a few hours I will head home, shower, then meet a friend and head out of town (to Tampa for a night at Busch Gardens). I expect another very late night. Maybe I can nap in the afternoon, but doubtful.

So that is our catch up on the dirt, drama, and details (abbreviated for survival) as fatigue sweeps me into bed. We close with Chicago singing Wishing You Were Here and Pink Floyd singing Wish You Were Here and the dream the bass will join me and fill the bottom in (Harry again). Or the top, I am cool on the bottom.

Nite Nite :)

No comments: