Thursday, October 26, 2017

Silly Me, Sleep?

Last night I was odd, like most nights. life is odd, like most lives. All those links, all those memories, all that fun. If only you were here to enjoy it, we'd both be having even more fun. You'd add your fun to my fun and we make even more fun together and that would be the oddest odd of all. The oddest odd of all? There's a Seuss of a different colour.

I was asleep, falling asleep sitting up just after dinner (pasta and cheese and sugar will do that) and rolling into bed at 8:30 tonight and then just after 11, the phone rang. Someone twisted a knee and wanting to go to the hospital but couldn't drive. I called my boss and let him handle it. It's his job, after all. At least he has yet to let go of that part of the safety officer job and tells me worker's compensation is not my job. Kind of confusing a bit, but we are working out what my role is and he seems to have a tough time letting go of being safety officer. Maybe because he was SO for six or seven years and for the last two years he got used to being both risk manager and safety officer and his assistants support that and he likes being the boss and giving detailed instructions on how to do things and his assistants seem to be used to that.

Great guy, best boss I've ever had I think, at least the best boss who's been involved and present. I said that about my last boss, didn't I? Then she threw me under the bus lol. Corporate America. Oh well, I never claimed to be a good judge of people. People confuse me most of the time, as we may recall. I don't have total recall anymore, anyway. I am accepting the aging process gracefully and doing my best to enjoy it.

That has me smiling :)

Did I mention that I picked up Eb from the airport this week? Picking up Eb was interesting. We don't really talk much because he doesn't really talk much so in the car I pushed for a little conversation to keep any awkward silences from becoming awkward and he told me about his trip. He apparently drove 3000 miles during the week he was there. It sounded like he drove everyone who asked anywhere they wanted to go all over New England including a trip to the Canadian border. Still a lot of miles considering how relatively small New England actually is, but then, he's from Rhode Island. I wonder if he gets my irreverence. I wonder if anyone gets my irreverence. Sigh, it's lonely being me.

I've been living here been here since March, I think. March 10th or so. Middlmarch (there was a book by that name I never did get to read even though it was required reading in a few different English classes along the way. I wonder what it was about and if it relates at all to this paragraph. Anyway, I am here a whole lot longer than planned and paying more than I should but mostly proving I can pay $700 a month for a place including utilities and probably can pay $800 or more with a bit of cutting down on $50 dinners. That means I can live anywhere in this area with the right roommate. Now if only the right roommate came along, I can stop living like a refugee again.

What me, comfortable?

With Eb away for a week it was a little more enjoyable here as I got to watch the large screen for the shows I watch and actually see a football game. I don't know why I enjoy football when I know the barbaric sport is killing people, including children. Probably because I remember playing and having fun. I won another week in fantasy football too so I am 6-1 on the season and in first place in the league at the oment but that could turn in just a few weeks. It's a long season. Next week will be tough to win because most of my team has a bye week. Sadly, Jackson is not having a good year. Sadly, we don't share the fun of fantasy football anymore. Sadly, I have no sports fan friends these days. Sadly, I have no TV watching friends these days. So I enjoy my viewing alone and don't have anybody to talk to about it and still it was more enjoyable on the big screen with food and snacks and the laptop and so on.

I am laughing at my apparent sorrow... some sad circumstances, but I don't feel sad though :)

Lonely, Not Sad.

J asked me what I will dress up for Halloween as and I said nothing, I don't feel like dressing up for Hallowwen this year and she pushed for an answer if I were to dress up so I pondered and this is what emerged from the pondering...

If I was going to dress up for Halloween I might dress up as a nudist. I have no interest at all this year in dressing up so the mind is a complete blank on the thought so apparently I'd be a nudist if I dressed up for Halloween. Probably best I don't given our prudish culture and the laws against nudity. I imagine a male going out on Halloween as a nudist would be arrested and labeled sex offender or child molester or worse and then be molested himself in jail because humans do not appear to be mature or enlightened enough to separate nudity from sexuality and sexuality is still an aspect of this life humans handle very poorly. Maybe I should dress up as a serial killer priest.

And then there's softball...

Softball is almost always fun, especially when I go with the right attitude (wanting to have fun more than wanting to win) and lately that right attitude is easier and easier to find. This season my teams hardly ever win, but we did win this past Saturday and again on Monday. First week the overall weekly won-loss record broke even at 2-2. 2015 with four or five teams was the best won-lost record of the last fifteen years since returning to softball. I wrote a couple of semi-statistical blogs about it way back when (that was a tough emotional season in life and the two hundred or more blog posts for that period really shows it and yet I still wanted to be competitive and alive and hopeful and supportive and cheerful and enjoy this wonderful life). This year is on pace to be the worst won-loss record ever and I am enjoying playing as much as I did any year, maybe more.

Hopefully I will get back to sleep before morning.

It's still the same old story.

More?

No comments: