Sunday, April 30, 2017

Used To Be

Just a minute or so ago, I know
a minute or so ago
I was falling asleep
it seemed so real to me

Just a minute or so ago or so it seems
just a feeling maybe something in my dreams
and now I find myself composing this song
and I have no clue if there is something wrong
just a feeling that I ought to be asleep
yet something stirs from within, I know
something stirs from within
beyond the deep

something stirs from within, I know
that is undoing sleep
something stirs from within, I know
something beyond the deep
something stirs from within, maybe
miles to go, miles to go
something stirs from within, maybe
promises
promises
promises...
maybe promises
I meant to keep

Used to be the creativity flowed freely through the babbling and the answers to any questions (and solutions to any challenge) were revealed as easily as the rhymes flowed.

What happened?

Maybe, somehow, when I was not looking...

flowers became red and green leaves became green.

. . . o O ( pause for dramatic effect... affect too ) O o . . .

Perhaps it was something Harpo said to me earlier today. Perhaps it was enjoying a group of people in a different place doing different things tonight, people who asked for my number and who invited me to come over personally. Whatever it was, likely a combination of more than a few experiences, I found myself clicking on Facebook tonight, much at Harpo's request, to respond to invitations he told me were on FB. I did not find any invitations. Perhaps they are lost somewhere on some page of notifications and if I scrolled for a while I might find them. I wonder what should I be looking for. Perhaps FB has a specific notification section for invitations that I do not know about. Is this what growing older is about? Not keeping up with the current trends, not following the herd? For me, it is the latter and more, it is simply choosing to try to keep personal face to face and voice communication the priority in my life.

So I found myself writing this post on my FB Wall.

How did we come to this?

Will friends - I mean friends offline who have my phone number, friends who know where I live, friends who've hung out talking face to face, celebrating each other, playing games, caring, and having fun - will friends who looked into my eyes really be offended or upset or hurt because I do not come to Facebook enough to find their invitations to events amidst the hundreds of notification I find when I stop in to this online escape from reality?

If I suggest we have become too dependent on this less than personal communication medium, am I offending someone? If I suggest Facebook has alienated us and is teaching a whole generation of people how to not engage in healthy face to face relationships, am I upsetting anyone?

If I simply say - anyone who wants my attention can call me or text me and anyone who wants me to do something with them can call me or text me - is that being antisocial or rude?
Questions to ponder in this age of faceless distant communication.

Well, here is my reality - accept it or reject it. Believe it or not, if I do not have time to come here every day, that does not mean I do not love you. If I do not respond to your posts here online, it does not mean I am avoiding or rejecting you. If I do not spend time searching through notifications to find out you created a Facebook Event and invited me, that does not mean I don't like you. It simply means I do not spend much time here on Facebook.

Is that really so challenging to understand?

Let me know what you think. I want to know.

If you want a faster response, you have my number (it's been in my profile for 10 years). Take care of you and enjoy life.

I hope you make eye contact with the people you care about today (and they see you looking back into their eyes). That is where we find each other and truly communicate.

Remember? :)

If you want to find the meaning of life, look into the eyes of those you love.


Call me old-fashioned. Call me a rebel. Call me whatever you like, the point is . . . call me.

Get it?

I hope my laughter does not give you cause to be offended lol.

Narf :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This web site really has alll of the information I needed about this subject and didn't know
who to ask.

Anonymous said...

I blog quite often and I really thank yoou for your information. The article
has really peaked my interest. I aam going to
take a note of your site and keep checking for new details about
once a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I've been following your web site for a while now andd finally got the courage to go head
and give you a shout out from Dallas Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the good work!

candoor said...

Wow, cool, this entry's first comment and it only took a long time, but then, what is time? Does it exist? Are we real? Einstein thought so, maybe, but then, what's all this about singularities and spooky connections and that other thing? Quantum what? Qubit was the name of a cat I never met, but much beloved. Z0tl, I miss you even more. Meanwhile, back at the cannery, the fish aren't jumping anymore. I have lots of information and am happy you found yours.

Are we having fun?

Narf :)

candoor said...

And a second comment on the same night? July 26th must have been quite the Are you the same Anonymous who posted two hours before? I don't check comments much. Blogger doesn't email me notifications much anymore either. I don't check email much, come to think of it, but it's Blogger's fault too. We're imperfect creatures, the lot of us. Still, we are well intended, do our best to do no harm, and have much fun. If you left additional comments in your weekly or so checks, I'll find them eventually. Thank you and may life smile more than it frowns in your head. :)

candoor said...

Hey, wait a minute, July 26th had a third comment just 12 minutes later? Was this entry advertised somewhere or something? On a forum where everyone is named Anonymous, perhaps? Well, than you, all three of you, or one of you, or to, even. Whomever you are, I am please to see you took time out of your night to write the words you left here.

I do have fun responding to Anonymous comments and imagining there is a sincere, even vulnerable person behind the words gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, even as I tease about the possibility that there is a Spambot AI program behind the words. If you are not AI, hug for your bravery and sharing. I'm not sure how to give AI a hug, but if you are AI, hug for you too.

Maybe someday we'll see the point to all these words and celebrate greater understanding of life, the universe, and everything.

Until then, let's just enjoy the dance :)

Narf :)