Thursday, July 4, 2019

Sharing Space

Sharing space is a compromise. It is rare that you find someone with the same habits and preferences. For me, it's been a compromise of cleanliness, sanitation, an privacy ore often than not because I like a clean space. Every few weeks I stay home and spend a whole day doing laundry ad cleaning, but I've given up on cleaning thoroughly as there is no keeping up with the other beings living here. The cat sheds more than any cat I've ever known. The ids, well, they are kids and do not clean up behind themselves. TA let stuff pile up and so, I ignore. It's cleaning day.

The laundry continues, as does the rest of the activities, which actually included sweeping and swiffering the kitchen floor. Naturally the eight year old is working against them even as they clean, and encouraging the dog to get in the way as well. It's amazing how she is allowed to do as she pleases and I suppose TA does not see it as disrespectful, but if she tries it with other people she's going to be shot down pretty quick, maybe hard. Being spoiled as a child does not do any favor for the child as well. I pitched in a little too, but the older kid had it well in hand. The eighteen year old is such good young man, always very helpful and amazing patience. The eight year old really challenges him a lot and he just takes it in stride (for instance, she's nonchalantly walking across the wet floor he just mopped, repeatedly, as if she is not aware he is cleaning, and he doesn't say a word).

I really ought to name the kids, I mean give them blog names, since they livw here half the time, but I suppose I am working my way towards that. A small slice of pizza was consumed for lunch and TA grilled pork chops (the eight year old requested them, though she seldom actually eats what she asks for and half the time {or more} it's thrown out, she still always gets exactly what she wants... mom must be of the entitled class) and I put a burger or something on it. He got some Alabama sausage, good. Yes, he's from Alabama, but the good news is he disagrees with most of what the state seems to stand for, especially these days. He's proof that even the state with the lowest education scores can turn out intelligent, socially conscious, relatively enlightened people. I like him.

The laundry still continues, and house cleaning actually happened with the kids (at least the older one) doing most of the work. Nice to see. It doesn't happen too often, but I've learned to wipe up areas I want to use and ignore daily stains. It's nt so messy when the kids aren't here, but like most people I've known, TA uses a different glass or mug every time he drinks and they pile up, several a day, and it's the same for dishes. My habit is to use the same glass, plater, and silverware, just rinsing them when I am done. So much less work and cleaner. I'm not becoming the daily clean-up-after-them roommate, thanks. Even if I had time, it doesn't help them learn to take care of their own space.

Anyway, happy laundry day.

Narf :)

No comments: