Saturday, October 6, 2018

New Spaces

Almost going for a new computer, but that will wait as I spend $700 extra dollars last month (or was that this month?) on other stuff and with only $400 extra coming in (now that the car is paid off, or soon, at least), that's a net deficit and I do not want a net deficit in any month so I shall not buy a new computer this month because this month I have semi-annual insurance due which is another net deficit month unless I cut back so I shall cut back on as much as reasonable (we hope), especially since the net worth is at the lowest of the year (really?... maybe I mean my checking account, but it's still a good scare tactic if it works cuz I have been giving way too much money away lately) and the possibility of moving is closer than ever (I shall be out physically looking at places today for the first time in years).

I did buy a new 5TB hard drive last month as a back-up drive. I almost bought an 8TB drive, but I do not have a TB of data in my personal folders at this time so I did not spend the extra money this time. By the time I need more drive space they could have PB drives out lol.

In any case, what the computer is doing right now is transferring the 1TB drive to the 5TB drive. Slowly. The top speed has been abut 16MB/s which is puzzling. Often dropping to near zero is just as puzzling. There must be a better way to connect the drives (I have them in two USB ports and am using Windows Explore for the transfer) for faster transfer, but it is what it is today. There are likely thousands of files on the drive that are useless (like the thousands of "Local State-RFxxxxxxxx.TMP and other .TMP fils or .eml files being transferred at the moment) and just as many I don't need (260,226 was the count of files being transferred), but I don't have time to search through to determine what can be deleted so it's all one big dump into on folder for now. The process started at 9:23 AM. The unreliable Windows estimate says "Time remaining: More than 1 day" most of the time. It switched to "Time Remaining: 8 hours" briefly, say for about 30 seconds, but after 27 minutes, about 18,000 files have been transferred, many of them.TMP files and the data transfer rate has dropped to under 1MB/s for most of those. It is currently under 100KB/s. I seems that this should be faster than dial-up, right? lol.

The internet is not connected here at the moment. The wire was down in the street yesterday. Might have been a big truck going through the neighborhood as the wires hang kind of low (and they wobble to and fro, in case it matters to ya). No internet was right on time as I laid down after work ad laid the phone games until I fell asleep. I left work let, about 8;00 PM, then took a shower and fell asleep around 11:00 PM. Woke about 8:30 AM and the right kidney said I've been horizontal long enough. The right kidney aches when I lay on my right side and dehydrate overnight. I woke to urinate at least three times, so I was relatively hydrated overall. That right kidney will likely be the first body part to completely fail, but hopefully it will take a lot more years to get there. The rest of the body has it's ups and downs and the muscles are more atrophied than ever before, so I really must (again) get to the gym more and just exercise (lift stuff) more. As I woke and considered the muscles, I realized how muscles need rest and how good the body felt after more than 8 hours sleep which got me to thinking about the heart muscles which never get any rest at all. I felt amazed the physiological and mechanical feat since I don't know where that might happen anywhere else in nature. Maybe the shark swimming constantly compares.

Of course I could make a case for the computer, as in the MS Windows and other software crap, that constantly provides interruptions. The pathetic dependency on the internet that permeates our culture certainly is exemplified by the computer. So there's no internet connection, why do you have to panic and constantly pop up to tell me there's an error. Not being connected to the internet is an error. Do you see anything wrong with that concept?

Windows says so. Lenovo says so. Of all programs, Kaspersky should be happy there is no connection because that means there's no threat and it's job is to protect the computer, but even Kaspersky pops up with issues when there is no internet connection. What limited minds programmers must have, such linear thinking, so sad, really, since they are leading the human race into the next wave of evolutionary development. The chip that connects the brain to the internet. How will our DNA adjust to that? lol. Could be I'll find out, though it may come after my heart finally rests.

I should have (really, as if I couldn't have, right?) gone to the gym this morning. The potential new roommate, who I believe was named Levi or Liv, though I am not firm on that quite yet, said he has an appointment with a personal trainer right now and that's why he couldn't start looking at apartments earlier today so we will only have the afternoon. I am concerned that he will have trouble paying his portion of the bills since his income is low and he has expences I don't have, but then, I have expenses he doesn't have (softball, for one). Still, rent and utilities will be more than 50% of his take home and I believe he's never lived on his own before, hence, concern. Still, my complete lack of other viable options over the past couple of years has left me here.

Well, about 37,000 files have transferred and it is time to get dressed and head out to shop for new places.

Narf :)

No comments: