Saturday, October 6, 2018

Still Driving the Computer

Hello again. Still waiting on the file transfer from the 1TB external drive to the 5TB external drive to be completed before I start doing much other than typing nto this notepad file. The transfer was re-initiated about three hours ago and I went out for an hour and a half to the gym and it is about the reach the halfway point for number of files, but the Windows tracking pop-up window says it is 25% completed and there are 2.5 hours remaining (of course that estimate changes with the wind and is rarely anywhere close to accurate) with 131K files remaining. It's peaked about 37 MB/s during this transfer so far. I wonder what a grown-up computer would do lol.

We (potential new roommate and I) finally went apartment shopping today. He is not impressing me at all as someone I can trust or rely on, which makes him poor roommate material (so far), but on the other hand I sense a harmlessness in him and his unreliability could readily be his limited life experience, awkward social skills, and some social isolation. At 11:15 AM while I was driving to where he asked to meet, he called to ask if we were still meeting at 11:30 AM. I told him yes. When I get to the location, I see a text asking the same thing. I respond "I'm here" and follow that up with "You?"

He responded at 11:55.

He called to confirm I'd be there on time. He texted fifteen minutes before our scheduled meeting time to make sure I'd be there on time. I said I'm in the car and on my way. He made no mention he'd be late. The first meeting he was fifteen minutes early. So being late may not be a pattern, but poor communication - that seems consistent. He seems clueless sometimes. I texted back "You could have mentioned you were running late" and he replied "Sorry" and I left it there.

So he arrived about noon, thirty minutes late, because he has a fitness session with his personal trainer at LA Fitness ($200 a month) and he was not hungry enough for lunch even though we said we were meeting for lunch. Once again he had no preparation for the apartment search. No list of places he wanted to see.

So I pulled out the email I sent him that asked him to look at a couple of dozen links to many dozens of properties with floor plans and prices, asking him to look through and let me know which he liked, and I started choosing paces to go and driving to them. I saw after the first two visits that he had never done this before so I took over the questioning of leasing agents who, naturally, wanted contact information for their database so they could send us sales pitches after they kept us there listening to their in-person sales pitch for as long as we'd stay. I simply wanted floor plans, current prices, and availability over the next few months so we could see as many as possible in the very short time frame he was giving this decision.

Ten minutes tops. That way we could squeeze in seeing six to eight places in the limited time we had. The first two leasing agents tried hard to do their thing and he was going with it, so I had to stop that waste of time.

We squeezed lunch in when he said he was hungry.

I must be desperate lol.

Narf :)

No comments: