Sunday, August 21, 2016

Early Night

Last Day in Austin, the let down was evident in the fact that the team did not get together to do any activities, not to explore the city, not to watch the other Orlando teams still playing, not even for a team dinner. Only a few of us went to the closing ceremonies block party and NW and I left to get pizza and decided not to go back because it was late and we were tired and we were flying out the next day. That is just the way it's been with this team and maybe it's the coach who parties with his other team and not us and maybe it's because there is no social organizer on the team and maybe it's just because I don't drink so I don't enjoy the clubs and drinking which is mostly all they do to socialize and maybe it's because I am older than the rest or maybe it's something else.

The important thing is we come together on the field most of the time (when we are not undermined or over-pressured by the coach) and we win a lot when we do. I don't think it's that we don't like each other, I think it's just some personalities don't gel, mine included, and we go our own ways off the field. So this is the entry for the last night of the World Series this year. All in all, we had a lot of fun. I know we could have done better without the coaching changes, but we are what we are when coach is around (and do better when he's not, but we love him).

Austin was fun even though we did not get to do much because of the constant rain. I missed connecting with an old friend from high school mostly because we always had to be ready to jump in the car to be at the fields if the rain stopped and hey got a field cleared. Since I was not driving, I had to be near the driver and that made it awkward to try to head off on my own for a while. Alas, we all missed a lot of potential experiences there, but we made lemonade out of lemons.

I head home tomorrow and will be getting up early for a free breakfast buffet with NW (I am using my $44 complimentary breakfast for two) so I ought to get some sleep. Beav is already fast asleep as he has a 6am flight. The party is over and it's back to life, back to reality.

Better luck (and weather) next year :)

No comments: