Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Tuesdays Are Not Mondays (Cards, TV, and Small Minds)

I used to play softball on Tuesday nights but decided to not play Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday not only to get rest and do other social things, but just in case I found a job that did not have hours compatible with weeknight softball. I still play Mondays and though I missed the first game of the season to help out at a silent auction benefit (I heard they were run ruled by a team that will be moved up to the upper division next week... we won last night 14-11). Tuesdays evenings are card parties. Sometimes four sometimes more people playing Spades, Hearts, Oh Hell, or other games. This week a new activity was added. It will likely move to Wednesday evenings once I start working again (aren't I hopeful?). Now that I have CBS All Access I will likely watch one, two, or three shows after cards (or Wednesday evenings, as I said). NCIS, Bull, and NCIS:NO. I can miss the last one and the middle one is new, but I'll likely watch all three as long as I have the time.

So for TV distraction, amusement, and that sense of imaginary family and friends I have Big Bang Theory and Scorpion (Mondays), NCIS, Bull, and NCIS:NO (Tuesdays), Criminal Minds (Wednesdays), Football (Thursdays), Pure Genius (Thursdays after football ends), Elementary (Sundays). Possibly a couple of others, all for $10 a month. So I will miss BBC America and Sci-Fi shows, but I'll work on finding ways to see those and until then I have a lot of choices. What sucks is shows I would watch (Angel From Hell, CSI: Cyber, Extant, Under the Dome and Supergirl) are not coming back, at least not next season.

Unfortunately, The Syfy Channel and the BBC America Channel does not have an online option. They require a viewer to pay a cable TV provider in order to sign in and view their shows. That really sucks and is one more example of how the Oligarchy works. They are small businesses, not like CBS, so they are forced by their contracts with the big cable providers to restrict viewership online to only people who pay the ridiculous amounts of money to watch cable chock full of psychologically manipulated commercials cohercing you to pay more money for stuff you don't need. Long live the king.

I feel sorry for the millions of greedy people who admire the successful greedy people who rule them the way royalty ruled serfs hundreds of years ago. So much ignorance and servitude bred into people under the guise of the work ethic. The logic and benefit of collective cooperative commerce requires an enlightened awareness of their own selfishness and greed they are sadly lacking.

The TV distraction is obviously over. I will turn to season one of Saturday Night Live now and hope the awareness of the reality of human greed, cruelty, and stupidity goes away again for a while.

So we played some Oh Hell and Spades tonight. I lost to Dave at both so he was happy. He doesn't seem to notice that I do it deliberately, so he hasn't ranted to me lately. He did rant about how lazy people don't deserve help and he and Knobby showed their limited knowledge of other races once again. They are tolerant one on one, but express gross generalizations and insensitivity when talking about others. I can only imagine how they talk about me when I am not around. The more I listen to them, the more I realize they are philosophically at opposite ends of the spectrum in so many ways, it is amazing we tolerate each other.

Get a job and independence back.

They are so caught up in the rat race, even though they work for themselves, that they don't see how they are rats in a maze hating all the other rats and convinced they are better than all the other rats. Leaving the whole normal world behind is looking better and better these days. What humanity has done with life and this world, sigh, can we get a do-over?

Anybody out there want to start over?

The saddest thing of all is most people who call themselves my friend in this world don't even read any of my babbling and even sadder (yes, sadder than the saddest thing, it's a thing, really) is most, if not all, would feel sorry for me focusing on the depressive complaining venting and missing the point.

Narf. :)

No comments: