Friday, September 30, 2016

Avoiding Facebook

Nothing much is happening so I decided to ramble on about my recent visit to Facebook again, just a bit. I did meet helen for lunch at one of the nearby Chinese buffets and still wonder why I am not dropping the weight I want to drop. I am eating less than 1000 calories most days... I'm just not doing enough exercise to birn 3500 calories a day so I am not dropping much weight. And now, on to Facebook.

I've been doing my best to avoid Facebook and don't miss it at all (until I wonder why people don't keep in touch unless I am on there), but once in a while a text message notifies me something was posted on my page or someone close posted something (their text notifications seem rather random as when I go there are many things I did not get a text for that are in the same category as those I do get texts for, but whatever). So I go on Facebook to check a private message (PM) because the text said someone posted "Please check your PMs on my wall. I am being asked to volunteer for a couple of things in the community and responded asking the people to text me info. Two did within five minutes (at 1am) and I am helping with organizing Angels for the Pride Parade next weekend and attending a support party in a few weeks. So I then, against my better judgment, explore the other 100 PMs waiting and then, all the information and distractions and news and nonsense that the newsfeed Facebook chooses for me (I control much of it as I choose what I want to see first).

So many PMs, so little time. I addressed direct questions and requests and explained, once again, that I am seldom on FB and to reach me they can text or call and I included my number. My number has been in my FB profile for almost 10 years.

Then, the newsfeed. Beyond the political and other madness and occasional amusement (in case you did not know, when I do visit Facebook I collect articles and stuff on my own Facebook pages and I am Admin in a group or few), a friend's dog has cancer and had to have a leg amputated. Another friend has to say goodbye to his 18 year old cat this week. Then I find out my uncle died. Adopted family I have not seen in at least 10 years if not 15 or more, but still... he was a nice man and his kids, my cousins, were the closes people to me in that family so it is sad and personal.

I just fell in love again. I know, it's a first sight (and listen) impulse), but it feels good even if it fades. Almost like when I first saw Dia more than ten years ago. Celebvrity crushes, you know, creative fun and emotional inspiration. You can see for yourself (sad song, but beautiful... especially if you want to believe in a life in the sky somwehere after you die). Seriously. And they've been around a while but never crossed my path before. This inspired me to re-start a music page on Facebook.

Maybe there is still hope for us all.

No comments: