Friday, October 28, 2016

Packing, Softball, Baseball, and Friends

I would have the babbler out parading around but The Big Bang Theory is quite distracting at the moment. I am seeking distraction because... let me count the ways. Alone, lonely, naturally. The Cubbies had the winning run on second, tying run on third, and Baez swings at two ball way out of the strike zone and game over, Cubbies lose the first game at home 1-0 and go down in the World Series 2 games to 1. My empathy for Jackson wants to commiserate tonight but she is fast asleep at home 30 minutes away (without traffic) and doesn't even know, but she will be sad in the morning. I so want the Cubs to win the World Series this year so she can finally experience her team winning the World Series (or any championship).

Next up, MacGyver, the new one. I am so only semi-interested. We lost tonight, 17-12, or 13. It was 13-12 going into the top of the sixth with four minutes left and we could not get the third out before the clock ran out. They are a very good team, better hitting and fielding than us, the second best team in the league, so we did good just to stay with them. We might have beaten then if we didn't have so many errors. If I hit better, that would have helped. I hit into a double play with bases loaded to end the first inning rally at five runs. A hit would have scored at least one, likely two more runs and we'd still have just had one out. I sacrifice flied next time I was up to drive in a run, but again, a hit would have likely driven in two and not wasted yet another out. I got lucky my next time up with a weak ground ball to the pitcher. He got confused as the runner on third ran home and his catcher was not covering the plate, he took a few steps toward the runner, saw he was not going to reach him, hesitated, then turned to throw to second but saw he couldn't get the runner going there and by the time he looked at first I was there so I got on. Next batter hit into a double play (almost a triple play) and we didn't score again. We hit into at least three double plays. As I said, they were a very good team.

Next up, The Great Outdoors, a new comedy. After the game most of us went to one of the local sports bars to watch the third game of the World Series. You already heard my feelings about that. The Cubs were pathetic at the plate, swinging at anything that moved as if they never stood in a batter's box before. It was extremely disappointing to watch as it was the first time I watched the Cubs for a full game this season. baez could have changed all that, but he didn't. Now they face the tough road of winning the next two and then one of the next two after that. I'll be watching, even if it brings me down. Hopefully, it will be a wonderful outcome that we will all celebrate, even if it is by myself alone.

Next up, Pure Genius, a new show I have been looking forward to checking out. An imaginary (hopefully based enough in real science to make rational and logical sense) merging of technology and medicine. My hope is there is more logic and reason than emotional contrivance and soap opera drama. I ate a lot of calories and spent $34 on food at the sports bar. Cream cheese jalapeno poppers, rib-eye quesadilla with a side of grilled onions and a three cheese grill cheese sandwich with bacon (instead of sweet potato fries or onion rings). Yummy, but not the way to drop the weight I really want to drop. I hope I rekindle the will power I had for about six weeks after getting those lab results. I stopped for chocolate on the way home. Thick Kit Kats, Lindor milk chocolate truffle, and a chocolate chip cookie. I ate all of it. Terrible will power tonight. Emotionally I am torn, bouncing around on a sugar high of joyous taste-bud ecstasy and reprimanding myself for regressing in my goal of reducing the lab results, weight, and extending my time here in this life. Nothing to see here, move right along.

During the day today I packed up most of the dry food and and washed another load of towels and boxed up six new boxes for the move, labeling each clearly so I will be able to know what is in the box without having to open it. I may not get to do the same for every box over this weekend or before I have to put everything into storage so hopefully the storage place is big enough for me to sort through stuff there. I need to wake up tomorrow and head over to The Maharaja's place to see the bedroom and see how much of my stuff I can bring over there so I can pack as well as I can. I need clothes for work and depending on the job I get (and I still must believe I will get one), I may need clean, pressed, dress clothes. For the first week though I may live out of a suitcase. I'll know more after I see the space. Meanwhile, I am still awake ad it's almost morning. Where are you, my BFF who will make everything alright again?

Still right here waiting. TV still on. Distract me.

Ok, so my first impression of Pure Geniusis that it is way to episodic soap opera and emotional contrivance than science, alas, but I will probably give it another shot. I think they will need to give me some eye candy by giving the neurosurgeon a larger role and humanizing all of the characters more, but to really get me interested they will need to bring the real science to the foreground and signs do not point in that direction. It appears to be a typical network medical show avoiding the technical to cater to the dumbed-down audience TV and our education system has created over the last couple of generations. Not unexpected, but still, I hope for more.

Next up, This Is Us, which turned me off in the first minute but I will leave it on for a little while longer, probably the whole episode. The doctor played by Gerald McRaney was good, good writing, well acted. The usual plot contrivances we are supposed to accept as coincidences were all too evident, but that's TV life as we've come to accept it and like the character Kevin, played by Justin Hartley, said, it's shallow (he used other words). Whether we should be ashamed or sad that we accept it is a discussion we can have if we ever discuss anything, but the fact that we don't ponder the meaning of our lives or entertainment is sad. I must be bored and desperate for some emotional interaction because I just clicked on episode two.

Laugh, and the world doesn't seem quite so sad.

Narf :)

No comments: