Saturday, December 3, 2016

Short Lived Miracle?

It's called Hiren's Boot Disk.

Ok, so the laptop did not crash when left with the lid closed for six hours. It also did not turn off or sleep, so it is way hotter than I'd like it to be. There was no sleep or hibernate on the shut down menu so I have to explore more. A lot to learn. There is also no anti-virus program on as far as I can tell so it may behoove me not to stay connected to the internet as I usually do and to only connect when I want to go online for some reason. No unnecessary browsing, no downloading emails unless I am sure of the sender, and so on. A lot of pages will not work with the Windoes 95 compatible broaser as well. So much to learn.

Yes, so I shall give up on the hard drive for now and use this Hiren Disk and see how long it takes for me to become frustrated with sites that will not load in this older browser )the employment and job application sites will be the clincher for buying a new laptop if they don't load). I suppose I will also miss the larger screen and online TV companion.

Ok, Opera started crashing. Twice now so far in the last ten minutes. It doesn't give a reason. Crap. There are very few browsers for Windows 95, so my hope for survival in this laptop withough spending money may be premature. Or short lived. Of course this is starting to happen as Saturday night approaches so I might have a repeat of last night, meaning no browser for a while. Grumbles.

Opera did allow me on to the state job website and I applied for a half dozen more jobs. It lets me check my mail on gmail. It lets me upload words to blogger. It did not allow me to go to Wikipedia. It did allow me to search the web and opened Reddit and various other websites. I will likely not be using it for any more secure websites beyond mail and Blogger as I still am not protected by an anti-virus. Maybe I should have opened the Windows 7 version of Hiren Disk.


Ok, a bit of experimenting and I discovered it is YouTube that crashes this version of Opera. I was searching for instructions on how to use the Hien Disk and That's why I tried Wiki and Youtube. OK. so instead of using my computer I am shifting back into diagnosing and repairing mode. I followed instructions to run MalwareBytes and that is going on right now. I will explore other tools and anti-virus next.


I decided I would get some dinner while the Malware scan was going on (it found one object already which leads me to wonder why Kaspersky did not and leads me to believe I need more than just Kaspersky scanning my next computer) and the last slice of lefover pizza with a half pound of shrimp topping is dinner. I texted friends during the day and received a few responses. Helen confirmed that our dinner plans for next weekend were cancelled because she is no longer at the company that was throwing the haliday party next weekend. We talked about getting together at the buffer one of these weeks. Jane texted that she just came in first place for her age group in the local 5K. She can be so inspiring (and would be a savior if she lived closer, but I'm way too resistant to far away inspiration when I am in lazy mode and I've been in lazy mode as far as vigorous exercise (other than softball) for a while now. Dummy. Yay Jane. Jackson texted back that she doesn't have time, as usual. I keep trying to believe it is her dealing with her co-depenency and not simply that she doesn't want me in her life, but that reasoning doesn't always fly when the pragmatic realist and conservative cynic get together in my head. Love, love, love, keep singing.

Dinner is yummy and the malware scan continues. Still one object and it's been scanning for over an hour. I am learning more about Windows 10 and the more I learn, the more Mac looks like the only logical choice. Unfortunately, havening never played in that OS playground due to the cost of the required equipment, it is just rumor to me.

Ultimately, the problem is most likely that this laptop was never compatible with Windows 10 from the start and jackson should have never upgraded it from Windows 7. I still have more tricks to try. but the bottom line is I should not have to. Incompatibility issues cost so much time and money they should be illegal.

I Wanna Learn a Geek Song

Hiren For the Save because it seems a lot of people have the need to save their property from software manufacturers mistakes with Microsoft being the primary villian. There are some savior alternatives to try and I also want to learn this and more alternatives and still more alternatives but the bottom line is you need a degree in computer and software engineering to really know what's going on behind the Blue Screens of Death

So Microsoft finally offered live tech support and I used it and two days later, my computer died. They asked for feedback in a survey so I told them what I thought:

Windows 10 has ranged from being a nuisance to a nightmare since it automatically updated itself on September 25th. Since that cumulative update my user experience has been poor - when I can use my laptop. There were conflicts and issues with my Kaspersky Internet Security suite that I've used for 10 years not only to protect my laptop, but for secure browsing, password management, secure connections, and more. I've never experienced as many BSOD crashes as I have since September 25th. Prior to 9/25, a BSOD may have occurred once or twice in the past few years. I tried many solutions and ultimately the hard drive may have been damaged during one of the crashes. The most recent solution offered by a MS tech included turning off some of my Kaspersky Security and the next BSOD finally killed the laptop. I am using Hirem's Boot Disk and Windows 95 at the moment to use this laptop. When I replace it, I will do my best to buy a Mac in spite of the cost.

After almost 30 years of using Windows, from DOS to 3.1 through today, I finally spoke to a live MS tech for the first time a few days ago and I was hopeful that MS finally recognized that though Windows is offered "free," a portion of the the billions MS earns should be put into supporting the OS since it has a long history of releases with multiple failures. Unfortunately, the auto-updating of Windows 10 cost me a $900 laptop so MS Windows is far from free for me.

I really do not think MS considers the actual user experience when pushing out a new OS. The intention may be to provide ease and a positive experience while selling advertising, but the actual experience is annoying, intrusive, and ultimately not worth the cost in time and frustration to a user.


Remember when life was offline, outside, and shared with real people?

Narf :)

No comments: