Friday, March 25, 2016

and the changes keep on changing

As I said it was a great time day and night today. Curly spent most of the afternoon here working on getting the water pipes just right and he will continue tomorrow. Hot water, not that is exciting. Yes, hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have hot water. Just as exciting perhaps is that as he got things done and I saw the wall and space access he needed, I was able to move boxes around and make myself much more room. Eleven boxes when under the bed and became a platform raising the bed to about four feet. Another nine boxes became a headboard. I removed the closet door and now have a table for the microwave and food prep and a box and the large cooler fits under there. Perhaps I will get a few photos up to document the progress and provide a visual comparison to the first night here.

Curly also checked out the refrigerator and discovered the coils were so caked with dust, they would not wipe off with a rag on a stick. I am going to need to moveeleven heavy boxes and many odds and ends to get to the back of the fridge and if it can't be cleaned properly from there, we'll need to get the fridge outside for a hose down. That would be inconvenient as I just bought food for the month. Stupid move since the temperature has been wonky. Curly brought over a thermometer and we found the freezer down around 20 degrees and the fridge over 50 degrees. Had to throw out a moldy loaf of bread.. Oddly, last week the freezer was having trouble freezing ice and the fridge seemed colder. The temperature control knobs seem confused. Stop laughing, we could lose a lot of food.

Ok, so I am laughing. Amused by the wonderful progress so the stressors are not getting to me. Not the wonky fridge, not the additional holes in the walls, not the laster and cement dust, not the Tetras game I am playing with all these boxes, not the loneliness, not nothing, not no how. It was a great day.

I even got the internet hooked directly into the laptop via ethernet cable and we are now enjoying almost 100mps download and over 10mps upload and almost no latency. The laptop, due to age, clutter on the hard drive, two different active scanning tools (Kaspersky and Spybot) I chose and Windows Defender, and inner dust causing it to overheat without an external fan on high whenever it (the laptop) is one. Speaking of overheating, the other desktop fan was aimed at the refidgerator coils and we are hoping the temperatures will get in the safe range by tomorrow.

For the evening, we went to Excel and Commodore's place to play bridge and enjoy yummy Chinese food (yes, again). They ordered shrimp low mein for me and Excel's son (who is so very polite and friendly... he came out of his room and introduced himself the first time I was there and greeting me with entheusiasm and a handshake tonight... there is hope for humanity yet, aye?). They also ordered sechuan and ragular chicken and it all came with fried rice and crab rangoons and egg rolls and did I meantion it was all very yummy? Just as wonderful was I got an unexpected hot shower as both Curly and I were hot and sweaty and Excel and Commodore welcomed us to shower there. Great people.

On the bridge (the card game), I recall the basic concept of the game from years ago, but I am clearly a newbie when it comes to playing for real right now. They were very patience and eager to train a new player as they lost one of their regulars recently because she moved out of state. We may play again Saturday evening. There is so much to learn about all the communication during bidding and then playing, while it is very much like spades, a game I enjoy a lot and in which I have some proficiency, there are differences that require a lot of thought and memory.

Excel also had a bit of news about progress on the job she wants to offer me. She needs help with spreadsheets and data entry and improving a system to track sales and trends and market prices in the place she works and she met with the boss today who is finally ready to work up a job profile . Hopefully it will turn into something I can do to bring in some income and even more hopefully they will pay a reasonable salary or wage. All in all it was a great day or progress and a great night of fun.

After getting home I wandered Facebook for a while and was inspired to leave a few comments and left what they now call "reactions" on many posts and then I checked email and here we are.

Hope you had fun too :)

No comments: