Sunday, March 20, 2016

yesterday, when I was younger

And getting younger all the time (in spite of the challenges which may go unnoticed by everyone but you as this life is a wild roller coaster ride these days in spite of the lack of income and lack of life partner and lack of comfort and lack of roommate and lots of loneliness. While I am living very frugally due to no income, I am splurging on softball and this weekend almost a hundred bucks went to a tournament. $30 to play, $10 for drinks, $30 for food, $10 for gas... ok, $80. Counting dollars takes the fun out of stuff so I don't do it much (I haven't balanced a checkbook in decades). It is essential when there is no income though and one of these days I will actually re-evaluate the dollars I have left in savings so I don't suddenly get the rude awakening of bounced payments.

Meanwhile, the day was a successful failure (or something like that) as I just may have become part of a new travel team (yes, softball, what else would I be playing now?) and even though we had no wins and I had no hits and I pitched poorly by my standards, I think I passed the test. At least that is what the coach said. Time will tell whether that was politeness or sincere. He seems like a sincere person.

The Freedom Tournaments are where some of the big boys play. Definitely above my pay grade (I thought I retired from competitive ball) but they want me because I pitch well and few people want to pitch at that level (those big boys hit up the middle and they hit really hard) in USSSA ball (harder bats, harder balls, bigger boys, much higher risk) they think I am better than I am. Everyone who cares about me says be careful because they hit up the middle a lot and they don't care if they hurt the pitcher, in fact, that is part of their strategy if they are losing. Some pitchers wear catchers gear including masks. I am considering getting a mask and catchers leg guards to replace the shin guards I cureently use and I should get used to wearing a cup as well. I must be crazy (softball addiction can be dangerous).

So I woke early and drove to Ormond Beach by myself (hopefully car pooling will happen for future out of town tournaments and even better, maybe I will find a softball partner this year) and getting there early, I signed us in and took care of the registration stuff. Ever so responsible, aye? We lost the first game 11-10 (eh, I made the last out on a long fly ball to right after the guy in front of me hit into a double play... so much hope for a come back dashed... I need to change the way I hit at this level because the fielders are better than at the recreational level). I also blew a play at the plate that would have ended a rally, alas, but there were at least a dozen other errors during the game so it was not just me. A few people on the team seemed to give up after that game. We lost the second game by more and the third game by more than that and poof, we were done. The coach was optimistic that we did ok for our first tournament and he said he will not be inviting back a few of the players who gave up. Hope.

After the game a dozen of us went to Houligans for food and social time. That was good. I just need to bring food next time and spend less on the food and drinks. See, no income is boring tedium, so let's look for squirrels.

I had a Little Debbie Swiss Rolls party all by myself in the car as I drove home and after getting home I sat down and fell asleep, waking a few hours ago more refreshed than usual and remembering a curious dream about two guys having a serious argument over business or something during the day and then their children celebrated an engagement or wedding that evening at which I was wasked to make a speech and I spoke about the tensions that started the day and how it was beautiful that here there was only celebration and most of the people embraced the unconditional love that the couple was sharing and that was the best gift and start for their relationship we could give them and the room of a few hundred broke into applause that lasted more than a minute (ego may have exaggerated) and the two guys almost smiled but the drama between them was far from over (where would the story go without drame and conflict, right?) and I woke up whistful and mostly euphoric and feeling good about myself and people and life.

Then I came to the computer and started updating some more (if you are curious or interested or simply must know everything,
here you go, aye? :) )

So how was your day? :)

No comments: