Thursday, March 31, 2016

Sleep, Really?

Yes, and I probably could have fallen back to sleep again but came to sit up and see if I can see. Focus that is. The eyes blink through the milky glaze of semi-dried tears as I count the hours I slept. Many. About ten last night. More than the usual four to six the day before. Still broken, up every few hours between REM cycles to empty the ballder, but definitely an excellent improvement over the past years. One night, or even the thirty six hour period I am recounting, does not suddenly erase the stress and wear and tear of years of limited sleep, but wow, it feels so different today. The body healing can be felt. The brain recovery is happening somewhere in the fog. A few more days like this and who knows, I might be young again. Well, at least I am laughing again :)

Somehow it has already been a busy phone morning. Multiple messages from Curly to make plans for the next few days into next week. I offered to help him with lawn work he needs to get done in return for all the work he is doing around here. We have bridge set up for tonight. He might get back to the plumbing tomorrow if he feels better. He's got a cold and is run down so he is taking a couple of days off. That does ut off my hot showers here, but he needs to take care of himself. Then tomorrow evening softball takes over until Monday.

Then two vendors from my previous job called. That makes four this week. Apparently the new Administrator has not taken responsibility for notifying vendors and others that I no longer work for the organization. Each month since I left I've gotten several calls a month from vendors and staff (unhappy staff has been their biggest problem because they enable entitlement so much and that has been going on for decades... I told them I could change that culture but it would take years and they were too impatient and refused to change themselves as they refused to see they encouraged that culture by coddling staff and not keeping an Administrator around for more than a year {the one before me was there three months}... just goes to show my plan was working because the most senior staff, the ones who would swing the change of culture, are the ones calling me to complain now so I aappear to have earned their loyalty and respect). So I finally sent a text to the CEO asking him to straighten out communications.

I am feeling closer to wanting actual exercise (like running or weights or gym or something other than softball) and if I had hot water here I just might be out walk/jogging this morning but I am still feeling semi-clean (sad, I know, to consider a shower two days ago as still feeling semi-clean, but it's sure better than four or five days or more... imagine how they lived back a hundred or more years ago with a bath once a week or even longer... we certainly are spoiled in our modern western culture).

Changing habits must continue. More consitent sleep will hopefully lead to more consistent clarify and energy and motivation for more consistent exercise and weight loss and a healthier body and mind. Let's not stop at one night this year, aye? :)

No comments: