Thursday, March 31, 2016

Don't call me, I won't call you

For some reason I am suddenly receiving a lot of telephone solicitations in the past week. I suspect it is because I moved and changed my address with the Post Office (which reminds me that I really must check my PO box as I only got the small one... I never checked mail at the place Jackson and I shared and rarely got mail as all of my bills are scheduled automatic payments, but who knows what might show up now that I moved... every junk mailer in the world, probably), closed my utilities and cable accounts, and am "fresh meat" for this pathetic commercial culture, but the last call was a robo-call that said I was "referred by a friend or neighbor." Hoping that is a lie. I am reporting calls to the National Do Not Call Registry and I verified my number is still on the registry. Go get them, beauracrats! lol. Seriously, I have not gotten an unsolicited phone call in years so I appreciate the government program that helps prevent them. Hopefully this new wave of sales calls will not last long.

I am also getting more calls from the previous job. Some of the workers there have called and left messages. They apparently miss me and are not happy. I was always a good listener. I am also getting calls from vendors about Spring maintenance and even got a call from one of the maintenance workers. They have been increasing and in the last week I received four calls. I finally texted the CEO and asked him to pass the message along to the organization and especially to the person running my former operation that he or she needs to notify people he or she is the one on call 24/7 and they should not be contacting me. I was polite and concluded with a friendly tone and well wishes.

I miss the people I managed and the people we cared for, but their rules prevent me from visiting or maintaining contact and their calls put me in an awkward position that they need to remedy. It really makes no sense as they started as a family-owned company many years ago and the founder still was CEO until just a few years ago and the reputation was friendly and great. We even discussed how different the organization was from others and how people who left often kept in touch, but that change in the past year and that is the primary reason I was not happy and expressing it which is why I am better off out of there. They seemed to lose track of the mission and values along with their ideals as they shifted gears to expand the organization by 70% over the next seven years.

I miss the income too, but I fell in love with the organization because they were and sold themselves as putting people ahead of money and that changed and when a non-profit goes on such a rapid expansion plan, they will lose the people who created the culture of family over decades.

Call me a fool, but I am much happier sticking with my ideals regardless of my living situation or bank accounts than I am living in luxury in a work environment that sells out on the primary purpose of the organization.

So who cares?

I do :)

No comments: