Sunday, March 13, 2016

that was rest, softball, pizza and facebook, right?

As you may already know (if it matters to you), I skipped Saturday morning softball (which is either practices with any number of teams or it is batting practice and scrimmage with the seniors who show up at Red Bug Park) and slept in. The body and mind needed that. It is recovering well given the circumstances and pressures and streesors and age of the body and so on. After waking, I straightened up a bit more (every day it gets a little more or less cluttered in every way) and touched up some entries I was too tired to proof read and edit (I do that occasionally while I am not working and have more time).

I then headed out to the softball field for the 3:15 game and while we played better than last week, it was our second loss of the season (and to the same team) primarily due to the other team picking up a couple of ringers and our own errors, throwing the ball around too much, and a player we picked up at the very last moment (getting on the field) because one of our players didn't show up. As we were coming back in the bottom of the last inning I was couching third. I sent six runs home and on the next to last play, the pick-up player did not move to third when he could have on a wild throw home. He was the tying run. Then the next batter hit a line drive into the right center gap that bounced to the fence and I waved him around third and turned my attention to the guy coming to third from secon. I almost waved him in, but I turned toward home I saw that pick-up player stopped halfway and started back to third. Naturally he was tagged out since there was a guy on third (and a guy on second), game over. He was afraid of a play at the plate I guess and we should have put in a pinch runner for him. So we lost our second game. A really tough way to lose. We still finished first in the league and get a bye for the playoffs that start next week. We play in two weeks.

On the way home I picked up a pizza at the closest pizza place to here. This would be a sign of how much I would like the neighborhood (as much as I wanted it to be a sign, that is). It turned out great. As close to New York pizza as any I've tried in the area. Go figure, I used to order from the pizza place across the street from it until it closed. Maybe I will make some sweet lemonade here (lots of lemons to suck on, after all). After I sit down and check my finances (must stop avoiding that), I will do my best to work that into my budget.

I visited Facebook instead of doing anything after that and the body enjoyed the rest. Facebook was unchanged and more boring and meaningless than ever, but I try to keep in touch with people and several of my softball teams who use facebook as their primary communication method. After Facebook blocked my account after I built up well over a thousand friends from all over the world and created more than two dozen pages for various interests and memories and hundreds of photos were uploaded by many dozens of local friends, I've lost respect and much interest in the site. I hope something less corporate and more human comes along to replace it soon.

Eventually, I did sleep. Recovery is slow but happening. Adjusting to this new space is slower, but sort of happening. Adjusting the the life changes is slower, but still happening too. Life is still good, just more challenging and lonelier than I want it to be.

How about yours? :)

No comments: