Sunday, April 24, 2016

Fun and Distraction

Seems I wrote this and forgot to post it and re-wrote the events of the day. So we have a rare opportunity to compare the summary of the day I wrote on the day it happened with the summary of the day I wrote a couple of days after it happened. I won't tell you which is which and you can tell me what you think. I mean, if you ever get here.

So yes, working hard on having fun and creating distraction not just because I am missing Jackson and sad (and hurt) that we have not gotten together once since we moved apart (almost 7 weeks and just one passing hello for a few minutes and a brief half hug at the softball field a month ago before our separate games), not even for our birthdays which were this month and not just cuz I am stressed about money because I have no income and drained my savings over the years to help her and not just cuz of general loneliness either... I am very much enjoying the frivolous and somewhat superficial distractions of playing cards and games three nights a week and playing softball three nights a week and on both Saturdays and Sundays and basically keeping so busy I don't have time to think much or miss anyone or think about why I am lonely or stress over anything... yeah, something about fun and distractions.

So today it was a full day of softball as we played four (maybe it was five) games at the tournament (the crazy one I have no business playing in because they are young maniacs who hit at the pitcher when they are losing and I am not nearly as fast reacting to protect myself as I was just a few years ago... sigh... the years take their toll). It was much fun and I played better than last time and we went 1-3 instead of 0-3 and I only got hit once and there is a huge bruise on the anterior aspect of my right bicep and tricep (it rings three quarters of the way around the upper arm) cuz the ball was probably traveling more than 90 miles an hour when it hit me and then bounced off into the shortstop's glove so he was able to turn a double play by catching the ball and then stepping on second base which was really cool. On top of the many cuts, scratches, and bruises on the legs from the lawn work I did with Curly on Friday, this body is more beat up and has more open skin areas and bruises than it has had in many years. I think I will survive though.

I drove straight from the softball fields to Excel and the Commodore's place (skipping an after tournament dinner with the team because I wanted to play Bridge and also because I eat for free there, though I did stop for a burger on the way so I would not be such a pig cuz I was too hungry when I got there). Bridge was much fun, though not as much fun as Thursday nights cuz Thursday nights are just the four core players. Others sometimes join us on Saturday nights and that creates a different fun mix. Someone else keeps score on Saturdays so it does not get recorded in Curly's iPad so it does not become part of the cummulative scoring we've been keeping on Thursday nights and I do not have access to the numbers so it is not as much fun from a number-fun perspective. I am still getting better at the game which is much fun. After Bridge Excel and the Commodore and I played another game because the Commodore is very much like me in loving playing games and he has late hours because he is retired and naps whenever he wants to throughout the day or evening. He was napping when we got there tonight. I want to be retired like him someday. :)

Now I may catch up on writing a bit but I really must talk myself into winding down and finding sleep because I have at least two more games to play tomorrow and we can't afford to lose another game on Sundays if we want to get to the world series this year (I will go with another team even if my team does not finish in the top two in the league, but it would be good to take this team back to the series as they made it two years in a row and missed it last year. Though there are just a few people still on the team from two years ago because several moved up to the next level of play and several left to join another team (that team only has one loss this year. They beat us in our first game of the season when we were totally not ready to play because we had not one practice and added five new players, three of whom had no softball experience, and they all played that game... as I said, if we don't make it I will go with another team who's coach had his or her team ready to play day one). Last year I went with another team and we finished 6th out of 54 teams. That team, though rebuild, is in third place with two losses. Tomorrow we play the first place team who are undefeated (we are in fourth with two losses) and if we don't beat them our chances of going to the searies are slim to none. As it is we need three teams to lose another game and they don't play each other and they have pretty easy schedules to finish their season. The current first place team that we play tomorrow asked me if I'd go with them to the series if they make it and my team doesn't. The third place team also asked me to go. The second place team will probably ask if they go. Just two teams get to go. Good to be wanted. :)

Yeah, so unwind already, aye? lol lam :)

No comments: