Sunday, April 24, 2016

Serious Softball for Fun and Hurt

Much fun and trial, but I don't think there was any tribulation today. Yes, I woke before 7am to get to the fields for the softball tournament with some trepidation because I am playing way over my head and much excitement because I am playing way over my head and will play at least three games and because these guys playing way over my head want me to pitch for them. Unfortunately, I was the only one there on time because the tournament was delayed due to yesterday's rain and nobody bothered to tell me. So much for the respect I thought I was getting, aye? Anyway, the coach of the team texted me to let me know the tournament was delayed at least an hour after I was already at the fields. That extra hour of sleep would have been sweet (and healthy).

So ok, last night's rain soaked the fields and the grounds crews were working on getting them in playable conditions and I called the rainout hotline and it was not updated from last night and I called the field offices and nobody answered. Grumps. Apparently the rest of the team was notified earlier because no one showed up until close to 9am. Fun. Grump. Blah blah blah. At least I had my comfy outdoor chair so I was relaxing while waiting.

Then the fun finally started. We played three games in a row, winning the first and losing the next two in close games. The fatigue was taking it's toll on everyone so maybe nobody got any extra sleep. We played one more game in the afternoon and lost that by one run. So four games throughout the day and in spite of losing we had much fun. As for me, I had a much better tournament than I did last time in this upper level of play. Most of these guys can pound the ball so hard that most pitchers wear catcher's gear (facemasks, knee and shin guards, and some even wear chest protectors... everyone wears cups). I started wearing shin pads a couple of years ago when I noticed my reflexes were not getting me down below my knees the way they until recently I was confident I could move my glove fast enough to catch anything above my waste that might hit my body or head. Today proved to me that I slowed too much to play at this level without more protection. Especially because these guys who play in this tournament seem to get off on hitting pitchers and some even brag about "taking pitchers out" as a strategy to win games.

So as you may have read, I am rather achy and sore and have a huge bruise on the upper portion of my pitching arm after a batted ball hit me. Ouch. The ball bounced off the outer portion of my upper arm and landed in the shortstop's glove which allowed him to turn a double play. That's probably one reason the other team did not express much concern aboutme. I survived and went right on pitching. I did fill a bag with ice to put on the impact spot. Surprised nobody else did as we had some spectators including the wives of two of our players.

Anyway, all in all we did better than last tournament but the level of skill in this tournament is way above mine so there's a much higher risk of injury. I am definitely getting more protective gear. I tried two different facemasks and did not like either, but I will choose one and get used to it. Not a great time to be spending $60-$100, but then, I like my teeth and face and would like to live to play another dozen or few years. A few people came to me with stories of friends and family who were pitchers who were hostpitalized for weeks and some in comas and lost a dozen teeth and went broke needing facial reconstruction surgery and never worked again and I will put the mask on for future tournaments even though I will lose an advantage over the batters, at least at first.

After the tournament, the team went out to dinner but I passed up on dinner with the team so I could get to Excel and the Commodore's place for Saturday night Bridge night and dinner. That saves money and lets me rest more, which is a wise choice even though I want to bond more with this team. We had much fun tonight even though the Saturday night group is not as much fun as the Tuesday or Thursday night group. I stopped for food along the way so I wouldn't be so hungry when I got there. McDonald's for the first time in at least a couple of years. Bloat. Not even a good taste treat for me. They made a ground turkey and veggies stir fry. It is still very kind of my old and new friends to feed me three nights a week. With a sigh of almost acceptance, I bring to conciousness the fact that it's kind of surprising people closer to me don't offer, but that's life with people.

Anyway, tomorrow there is more early morning softball so I really must find the unwind button and fall asleep soon but I am kind of wired. Clear the mind, focus on the good, let those who don't care go, let the troubles of the world continue without me tonight, and move on.





Nite Nite Love you

No comments: