Monday, April 11, 2016

Sleep Deprived

One of these days I will research the latest studies on sleep deprivation to see if the science people have learned anything new because the last I recall they were selling the dangers of sleep deprivation and especially the risk of damage to the brain or psychological disturbances if one is deprived of REM sleep but I also recall some dispute of that and my instinct tells me each brain reacts in some similar ways on a physical level but each brain reacts in unique ways on a psychological level so all the studies in the world may not provide any real evidence or real understanding of how sleep deprivation might effact my individual affect or something like that.

I didn't sleep at all last night, again, but I was not tossing and turning, I was on the computer once again. And playing Ruzzle for an hour or so and some bridge and chess (even sleep deprived the brain was wired from the fun and games and oh yeah, some mountain dew). Some stuff was added to Random Pop News (which is one of those blogs that I add things to randomly and not always as the latest entry because there is some method to the madness of randomness that appeals to me but that's another psychological study someone can assist with at some other time) and of course the relatively newly formed trilogy that this two-step daily has become. Or is becoming. Sentence fragments aside.

Maybe I napped for an hour before heading out to softball (similar to last weekend) and the outcome was similar as well. Pitched just about lights out and we won 13-3 (errors gave them all three runs). I went 2 for 3 (a long fly out to right field mistake) and scored the winning run on a ground ball that was bobbled at third. I should have scored on the play before but the third base coach said nothing when I should have been tagging up. It frustrates me that the coach allows just anyone to coach bases when none of them are actually skilled in running or base coaching. Anyway, we got lucky on the bobbled ball on the next play and I scored. So we are 5-2 now with the possibility of one of the loses being tossed out after the ratings committee makes final determinations of ratings for this season (one of the teams that beat us may have their wins overturned because they have too many players who belong in the "C" division).

After the game I did my ratings committee observations (and I stayed away from the games involving the team that might be disqualified to avoid any conflict of interest complaints) throughout the day and by 3:30 I was a zombie driving to the other side of town to meet Curly, Excel, and the Commodore. I hung out at Curly's until they were out of a play they went to see (a local production of The Sound of Music that I'd have gone to see if not for softball... that was the first movie I saw at Radio City Music Hall... one of those milestone memories of early youth). Even though our plans were to go to the food truck event for dinner, I stopped at Hot Dog Heaven because I just realized it is actually around the corner from Curly's place and I have not been there in many years and suddenly craved dogs (sleep deprivation does effectively lower will power and increase impulse eating for me at times). I had a few hot dogs and a pilish sausage and fries. Yummy, in spite of whatever might actually be in them.

I headed over to the Fashion Square Mall where a dozen or more food trucks were steaming and frying and grilling and preparing various foods. I had a cup cake. Not only did I resist the food trucks, but I saved money cuz the food trucks are not inexpensive food. Lobster rolls called out to me, but $16 stayed in my pocket because my belly was full and my taste buds were happy. Excel brought me a Code Red to help wake me. They got different foods and after eating we played games Curly had brought. They set up a table and chairs there and play games or cards (if the winds don't interfere... it was windy this evening so we played a game... I don't remember the name of it, but I won twice. It was a game of matching different colored numbers on tiles and the first person to use all their tiles was out and got zero points and everybody else added the points on their tiles. We didn't actually keep scored, but I went out the first two games and had one 1 point tile left after the third game. I like numbers. Sleep deprivation obviously did not effect the brain's ability to process numbers and colors and whatever else was involved in that game.

After the food truck party and games we headed to Curly's to play cards and we played spades. The Commodore and I were partners and we won big over Curly and Excel. We played Hearts next and The Commodore won that. Curly brought out snacks but I did my best to avoid them. It helps to be full. We broke up just after midnight and I sent Jackson a birthday text only to realize I was a day early after looking at the date. Maybe that was sleep related, but more likely just my disregard for calendars lol lam).

Home to play a little Ruzzle and a game of chess and maybe more nod off before actually getting into the computer. It was another fun day of life and the sleep deprivation may have been a factor, but I hardly thought of money and felt very little stress which is probably why I did well at everything I did all day and evening. Hope tomorrow is similar. Hope your day and evening was similar too. Make it fun :)

No comments: