Friday, April 1, 2016

Just an April Fool

Being Wild About Harry does not begin to express the magnitude of impact man, his life, his words, and his music had on my life. I admit I was amazed that the blog address was available and I believe that excited me into a frenzy of creativity that you may find links to over the next days or weeks as the words find their way online with their usual carefully planned randomness.

With fanfare saved for things like the Holy Grail, I even made the formal announcement in the usual place (when I remember it) as if it is as important as my own daily life blogs being written right here before your eyes. As if it is as, wow, did you see that? Well, maybe you had to be there.

Harry had a simple sense of right and wrong that cut through all the bullshit we use to rationalize our insensitivity as we rush through our daily lives. When he would express it, it was unavoidable truth. There are ethereal planes of consciousness beyond the reach of mere mortals that Harry knew and from his heightened awareness and with the purity of unconditional commitment, he teased, taunted, and inspired us. Still does, if you let him.

The fact is, if you love Harry Chapin songs the way I love Harry Chapin songs, we are 97% compatible. The other 3% might be deal breakers, but it is worth a shot. Harry words. Harry music. Harry songs. I see them, feel them, touch them, and heal them (yeah, I'm free... and still waiting). I consume them, resume them, (assume them, perfume them?... oh, love is sometimes like that ya know). I embody them. I experience them. I bring them, give them, sing them, and live them. Did I mention I love them? Encourage me just a little and you can listen (or be part of them) all night. I may be an April Fool, but no kidding :)

So I didn't sleep tonight because I let Dance Band on the Titanic in. It may not even be my favorite Harry Chapin CD, never was, but I find that as I matured throughout this life, I continued finding more relatable themes and nuances and magic in his words and music and CDs that did not grab me at first suddenly became mesmerizing and profiund. Listening to Harry is like reading short stories with your ears. Tonight, the story songs compelled me to sing along and it is challenging to sleep and sing at the same time. Besides, who would want to miss the joyous tears singing his songs inspires. The actor in me woke and played the parts and the audience in me said wow once again. I love Harry. Wish he was still here today. Wish someone would experience them with me.

Yeah, so last night, I didn't get to sleep at all.

No comments: