Monday, May 30, 2016

Extra-haustion

Surely you aren't seriously, seriously uou aren't surely, or something like that. When I wrote the brief version of what might become this blog entry that started out something like this: I figured I'd blog again just in case this is the last entry I ever upload (weak lol). I really did barely have the energy to type with both wrists resting on the laptop because the sun was baking the clay softball fields so it feld like an oven the humidity was extremely high because everything was wet because it rained really heavy around here last night (we were lucky three of the five fields were available at all and had to wait an extra hour for them to dry out enough so they were cleared for playing on)) and I was playing out there for four hours with minimal shade.

I am new to this group of seniors so I signed up and was assigned a team though that coach was not very happy because I became their 13th player and they already had four guys who called themselves pitchers (they all walked a few people, some with bases loaded... for seniors, the pitcher spot is the last place some can play so they learn to pitch even if they've never pitched before and anybody can pitch, but not everybody has the skill to pitch well). I told him I'll play anywhere he puts me but I have not played the outfield in many years so I'd be rough out there. The seniors play with leven on the field so two always had to sit. I alternated innings with another guy at catcher. We lost big due to pitching and fielding and not using pinch runners on bases when we could and we didn't start hitting until the next to last inning. It wasn't much fun, but I'll keep giving the seniors a shot since time marches on and the inevitable slow down will stop me from playing with the kids eventually.

I did a lot of running and went three for four after adjusting at the plate to the very different seniors strike zone (the plate is a strike so my first time up I didn't swing at a ball that hit the plate cuz I forgot senior rules are different... I fouled off the next pitche and was out because seniors do not allow courtesy fouls. That is odd because they should give batters all the chances possible to get a hit, but the intention is to move the game along I guess. I adjusted and hit the ball well for clean singles the next three times up. One would have been a double but a slow guy just barely got to second and I had to stop and go back to first. What a drag it is getting old.

When I texted Curly because he had planned to be up here going his mom's lawns and I started moving some heavy stuff to the garage. The heat was brutal. I heard the lawn mower and found Curly out back. He was just getting done with the lawn care and had a bunch of heavy things to move out of his mom's greenhouse. So I helped Curly move some seriously heavy stuff from the much hotter and more humid greenhouse to his trailer and the 90+ degree heat felt like a cool breeze. Not cool enough though as I reached the wall and had to stop and soak my heat to prevent heat exhaustion from increasing. It was mMore from the heat than from the activity, though Curly and I were moving some heavy pipes, some six and or more inchers close to twenty feet long and a whole lot of smaller pipes.

Thing is, we were moving them in a blazing sun from inside a greenhouse that was probably 110 degrees and 95% humidity so getting out into the 90+ degree blazing sun was a breath of relatively cooler air. We soaked our heads and finished the job and I came in and took a cool shower and now and write the briefer entry and could barely upload it befor my neck simply said stop by cramping as painfully as it ever has and there was no position to relax it even after I laid down. I napped, then headed to Curly's mom for dinner and games with Curly's brother's family because he is visiting these next few days.

I put a load of clothes in the washer and just may be asleep before they are done.

Nite Nite :)

No comments: