Friday, May 27, 2016

Friday on Friday

That title could be referring to reading a Heinlein novel on a Friday or many other things, but it simply means I am writing Friday's summary on a Friday as opposed to the usual summary written and posted some time after midnight. Maybe I'll actually get some serious sleep tonight (there's always hope). :)

So what else happened that I did not say briefly (lol, gotta babble)? Starting with softball, both teams for our double headed forfeited by not showing up. That really sucks because we pay for ten games and we've had two rained out and two foreits already. We will likely make up our rainouts, but we only get to play eight games this season and we don't get a refund. We pay, as a team, $40 a game so it's not really cool, especially when they knew teams would have trouble with the holiday weekend and most teams asked to not play on this weekend (us included) but the field director would not change the schedule because there are two weeks in June that they have tournaments at these fields so we will have those two weeks off.

Our coach spent a lot of time finding subs because more than half of hour team was away for the holiday weekend and so she wasted all that time on the phone calling dozens of people. The six players subbing for us drove out to the fields from all over the area anticipating playing two games and they got to play no games. For me, that meant a lot more pitching so everyone could get batting practice so I am exhausted from bending over and picking up balls a few hundred times, not to mention being ready for balls hit back at me at 100 miles per hour hundreds of times. I didn't get hit, but a lot of fielding and bending and pitching wears a body out.

The good news to come out of the softball forfeits was that we all had batting practice. A few of us, me included, really needed it. I used my new bat and hit well with it, though it definitely needs breaking in (a few hundred hard swings with good contact and a bat compresses so it hits harder and farther with less swing power) and it definitely wears me out (it is 30 ounces end loaded, but I find that a heavier bat works better for me than a lighter bat as my bat speed has slowed over the years, but I can still pound the ball wherever I want it with a heavier bat... the 29 ounce balanced bat I've been using for five or six years is no longer legal in USSSA leagues and I play in four of those... my hitting will be going through an adjustment period but I proved to myself tonight that I can get used to the new bat... I'll just need to consider using someone else's lighter bat if I get too tired after a few games).

So it was a good workout, though too short. Two hours of game playing softball was reduced to one hour of practice. Tomorrow I'll get in at least three hours of practice and games with the seniors so this body really needs to get sleep tonight. No one wanted to go out after softball, which is probably best for me on every level except socially (lonelies are calling) so I headed home and here we are, a lot earlier than usual.

More good news is that I resisted stopping for food (the dollar menu at Taco Bell was calling along with a dozen other places including Venus Pizza, but I did not respond), so I saved money and I kept the calories down at home eating one can of chicken, one can of mushrooms, one can of cream of celery soup, two slices of fat free cheese, a couple of tablespoons of fat free thousand island dressing, a tablespoon of onion dip mix for seasoning, and an ounce or so of vegetable spread. I feel bloated and I ate a lot less than usual. I think my kidneys are swollen and take up half my abdominal cavity, but then, that could just be my trying to excuse being fat. Maybe tonight and this week, since I cracked a couple of cans of chicken, the weight loss begins? There's always hope :)

I sat down to eat and catch my breath (figuratively, I mean I was exhausted and feeling a sugar low, but I was not breathing heavy) and listen to music and write and yes, Lenka again. Now I'm gonna motivate myself to get up and shower and then come back out listen to music and either lay down and see if sleep comes or write (as you may have noticed, O have been writing a lot more lately which is a very good sign cuz the more I write, the more it means I am in a good place inside (and as I mentioned in the previous entry, there are periods where I write more than ten entries a day over a period of many weeks). It also demonstrats why I am alone in life because seriously, who would ever keep up with me when I am in a really really good place inside . . . lol lam sigh :)

so time to close and here too, make it a great night (and hope it was a great day) :)

No comments: